Step 1: Request an item owned by the Stoughton Public Library
- Search for an available item owned by the Stoughton Public Library in LINKcat and place it on hold
- OR leave us a message at 608-873-6281 or email@example.com and we’ll place the hold for you.
Step 2: Wait to be notified that your hold is available (there will be a delay between when you place your hold and when it is available to be picked up)
- You will be notified when your hold is available. (This notification is an automated message from our library system; it does not come from Stoughton Public Library staff.)
- After you receive that notification, please contact us by phone or e-mail (please include your library card number in your message).
- After we hear from you, we will work with you to choose a date and time for pick-up. After the pick-up time has been decided, we will check the item(s) out on your card.
- Please note: if you get a voicemail from us, please call us back using the phone number we give you in the message, not the general library number.
Step 3: Arrive at the library at your assigned pick-up time.
- Items will be placed on a table outside the library in a plastic bag with your name attached. Only your items will be available at that time.
- Staff will not be available due to social distancing; if you have questions or concerns please leave us a message at 608-873-6281 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 4: Keep library materials at home.
- Library due dates have been extended. Due to limited staffing for social distancing (and the suspension of library delivery services), it actually helps the library if you keep items at home at this time.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What if I don’t want to pick up my holds at this time?
Holds placed during the library closure will not expire and will still be available when the library does eventually re-open. If you don’t want to use the curbside pick-up service, there’s no need to contact us; just stop in to the library when we do re-open the building.
Why is there a delay between when I place my holds and when they are available?
Library staff will do our best to retrieve materials from our collection in a timely manner. In accordance with social distancing guidelines, we are operating with a limited number of staff in our building. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Can I get items owned by other libraries at this time?
Not at this time. Because our delivery system remains suspended, we are unable to receive deliveries of materials from other libraries in the South Central Library System at this time, and can only fill requests for materials in our collection. Outerlibrary Loans are also suspended.
If more holds come in after I set my pickup appointment, do I need to contact the library again to make them aware?
No. Shortly before your appointment, we will pull everything waiting for you from the hold shelf, including those newer holds that came in.
Can I talk to library staff when I come to pick up my holds?
Nope. As much as we would like to speak with our patrons directly, the revised Safer at Home order is very clear that these curbside services must be delivered in a way that minimizes person-to-person contact.
What precautions are library staff taking?
Library staff are taking precautions for the safety and health of our patrons and staff. All returned library materials will be isolated for 72 hours before they are checked in.
All staff working in the library will adhere to social distancing practices, including the use of separate work stations and maintenance of 6’ or more between individuals.
To protect our patrons, all staff members will wear gloves and masks when handling materials for curbside delivery. Our zero-contact method of delivering materials involves placing materials on a table just outside the library doors for pick-up.
Why are you starting this service now?
On Thursday, April 16, Governor Tony Evers extended Wisconsin’s Safer at Home order through May 26. Among other provisions, the amended order allows for public libraries to begin offering curbside pick-up of library items.
Will you continue offering curbside pickup when you reopen?
Yes, while COVID-19 is a threat, we will offer curbside pickup service on an as-needed basis after we reopen.
What if my holds have been sitting on the self-pickup holds shelf since you closed in mid-March?
If you'd like to pick up these items, contact us at 873-6281 or email@example.com and we'll set up a curbside pickup appointment with you! However, these holds will not expire during this time, so you may also wait until we re-open!
What if I don't know what book or other item I want?
Leave us a message (phone or email) and we'll select items for you!
Can I get Lucky Day items?
We can work with you to offer Lucky Day books; just call us at 608-873-6281 and leave a message. Lucky Day dvds are not available for checkout at this time. We can also check out children's read-along Vox Books and Wonder Books, but Busy Bags are not available for checkout at this time.
What if it's raining?
We may need to suspend holds pick-up if there is inclement weather.
I'm not sure how to limit items in LINKcat to those owned by Stoughton Public Library.
Use the AVAILABLE ON SHELF filter when searching (this filter appears after you run your initial search). Or, just give us a call or email and we'll walk you through the process!
How much do you miss library patrons?
SO much!!! We hope you are all safe and healthy!