Step 1: Request an item owned by the Stoughton Public Library
- Search for an available item owned by the Stoughton Public Library in LINKcat and place it on hold (you can place holds on items owned by other libraries, but it will take longer than normal for those items to arrive)
- OR call at 608-873-6281 or email email@example.com and we’ll place the hold for you.
Step 2: Wait to be notified that your hold is available (there will be a delay between when you place your hold and when it is available to be picked up)
- You will receive an automated notification when your hold is available.
- After you receive that notification, please contact us by phone or e-mail (please include your library card number in your message).
- There are two options for picking up your holds: you can make an appointment or you can use our Curbside Express service.
- To make an appointment:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 608-873-6281 to ask about available appointments.
- If no one answers your phone call, we are probably helping another patron! Leave a message with your name, phone number, and library barcode number and we will call you back as soon as we can.
- Be prepared to read us your library card number over the phone.
- Appointments are made Monday-Thursday 9-7, Friday 9-5, and Saturday 12-5.
- To use Curbside Express:
- Call us at 608-873-6281 when you are 5-10 minutes away from the library. Be prepared to read us your library card number over the phone.
- If no one answers your call, we are probably helping another patron!, and will be with you shortly. Leave a message with your name, phone number, and library barcode number, and we will call you back as soon as possible.
- Curbside Express is available Monday-Thursday 12-7 and Friday-Saturday 12-5.
- To make an appointment:
Step 3: Pick up your items!
- For curbside pickup appointments:
- Arrive at the time of your appointment!
- For Curbside Express:
- Arrive 5-10 minutes after speaking with a staff member!
- Items will be placed on a bookcart outside the library in a plastic bag with your name attached.
- Staff will not be available due to social distancing; if you have questions or concerns please call us at 608-873-6281 or email us at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I return items?
Yes! Our exterior bookdrop is now open, and we are accepting returns of items from any library!
What if I don’t want to pick up my holds at this time?
Holds are expiring starting on August 1. If you would rather not use curbside pickup appointments or Curbside Express, that's okay, we can requeue you for the hold so you receive it later. Please call or email us if this is the option you prefer!
Why is there a delay between when I place my holds and when they are available?
Library staff will do our best to retrieve materials from our collection in a timely manner. In accordance with social distancing guidelines, we are operating with a limited number of staff in our building. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Can I get items owned by other libraries at this time?
Yes, but expect delays. Delivery between libraries is now running again, but is running much more slowly than it usually does. Items getting delivered between libraries quarantine for 72 hours both at the sorting facility and the receiving library, so it's completely normal for items to be "In Transit" for 2-4 weeks.
If more holds come in after I set my pickup appointment, do I need to contact the library again to make them aware?
No. Shortly before your appointment, we will pull everything waiting for you from the hold shelf, including those newer holds that came in.
Can I talk to library staff when I come to pick up my holds?
Nope. As much as we would like to speak with our patrons directly, the revised Safer at Home order is very clear that these curbside services must be delivered in a way that minimizes person-to-person contact.
What precautions are library staff taking?
Library staff are taking precautions for the safety and health of our patrons and staff. All returned library materials will be isolated for 72 hours before they are checked in.
All staff working in the library will adhere to social distancing practices, including the use of separate work stations and maintenance of 6’ or more between individuals.
To protect our patrons, all staff members will wear masks when handling materials for curbside delivery. Our zero-contact method of delivering materials involves placing materials on a bookcart just outside the library doors for pick-up.
Will you continue offering curbside pickup when you reopen?
Yes, while COVID-19 is a threat, we will offer curbside pickup service on an as-needed basis.
What if my holds have been sitting on the self-pickup holds shelf since you closed in mid-March?
If you'd like to pick up these items, contact us at 608-873-6281 or firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll set up a curbside pickup appointment with you, or connect with the Curbside Express service! Holds will begin expiring on August 1.
What if I don't know what book or other item I want?
Leave us a message (phone or email) and we'll select items for you!
Can I get Lucky Day items?
We can work with you to offer Lucky Day books; just call us at 608-873-6281! Lucky Day dvds are not available for checkout at this time. We can also check out children's read-along Vox Books, Wonder Books, and Busy Bags.
What if it's raining?
We may need to suspend holds pick-up if there is inclement weather. We will contact you directly if we need to reschedule due to inclement weather.
I'm not sure how to limit items in LINKcat to those owned by Stoughton Public Library.
Use the AVAILABLE ON SHELF filter when searching (this filter appears after you run your initial search). Or, just give us a call or email and we'll walk you through the process!
How much do you miss library patrons?
SO much!!! We hope you are all safe and healthy!